Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NYFW- Take 4

Oscar de la Renta F/W 2010: I don't really remember when I fell in love with Oscar de la Renta; but I can tell you it was love at first sight and I've been in love everyday since. This man is literally a genius when it comes to design. He makes garments that compliment the woman and makes her the center of attention and not the garment. I love his spanish style to the garment (ruffles, tiers, etc) and his way of making it look refined and ladylike.....Now that I am done drooling over the man, lets move on to his Fall 2010 line. The Fall 2010 line was elegant and refined; fit for a certain first lady.....the pieces I feel catered to both his older client and his new younger clients. Its overall theme: anyone can look like a lady. His use of rich colours and fabrics make my hand itch to be able to touch the garments....I need to study under him! My must have piece: The orange taffeta slim dress.









Marchesa F/W 2010: .....Where do I begin with them? The design duo (Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig) are awesome. One went to school for costume design (Chapman) and the other went for textiles (Craig). And in 2004, Marchesa was created. What I like about this line is the fact that every piece looks like art. The texture, fabric choice, draping, etc. makes each garment look as if they're telling you a story. For Fall 2010, they totally blew my mind. In the midst of cocktail dresses and full length gowns that were a mix of off whites, pale blues as well as bright pinks, reds and blues were a few amazingly tailored tuxedo jackets. This label is not for the wall flowers. My must have piece: the gold long gown with the sheer/beaded front. Amazing!









J. Mendel F/W 2010: I discovered J. Mendel in 2005 at the MET Costume Ball. Liya Kebede (My All-Time Favorite Model) was wearing this gold tulle empire waist dress that had me drooling....I was hooked from that day on. Moving to modern day J. Mendel; Fall 2010 is young and hip with the abundance of cocktail dresses but he remains true to his old school elegant with the furs, leathers and full length gowns. His cocktail dresses are bound to catch the eye of many starlets and I won't be surprised when his gowns end on on red carpets during awards season. His colour scheme was reds, blacks, deep beautiful blue- greens and classy furs. My must have piece of this collection: The deep bluish-green semi gathered strapless gown.






image sources: papermag.com; nymagazine; myfashionlife.com; gettyimages.com; fastany.com