Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Label Spotlight: Vionnet

I saw Ginnifer Goodwin at the Golden Globe Awards this year in an amazing royal blue dress. All that went through my mind was"I got to have it!" So after looking at Style.com; I found out the the line and fell in love with the rest of their dresses. Vionnet is a Parisian-based label that has been around for almost 100 years (on and off). Started in 1912 by Madeleine Vionnet she was know for her Grecian-style dresses and introducing the "bias cut".
She was called the "Queen of the bias cut" as well as an "architect among dress makers".She began her apprenticeship as a seamstress at the age of 12 and by the time she was in her 20's, she worked for 2 houses. She believed that "When a woman smiles, then her dress should smile too". Her clothes were know for showing off the woman's natural shape and curves. Her gown was worn by stars such as Katharine Hepburn (I love her!), and Marlene Dietrich among others. In  1919 ; World War1 forced her to temporarily closed her doors. In 1939, she closed her house for good. In the late 90's and early 00's, many attempts to bring back the line were attempted; in perfume, clothing, etc. Which brings me to modern day: the new Vionnet line is 3 years old. It debuted in 2007 and now is being designed by Rodolfo Pagilalunga (who has 13 years under his belt designing womenswear at Prada).  I have to say looking at the collections, I see promise. Here is some pieces from the Spring 2010 line that I absolutely love! I need to find somewhere to go next season, I need reasons to wear these dresses.


image source: style.com