Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fasting From Sex

....Lol, I know what you are thinking: "fasting from sex?" Let me explain. I had the blessing today of coming across a blog about the Blessings of Singleness and it mentioned fasting from food. I started to think about how fasting from sex or abstaining until our season of marriage is like fasting from food. When we fast from food our stomach still grumbles like when we abstain (especially those who have been sexually active before) from sex we still have a desire for it; but we press through it and put it before God because He will give us something better than.......a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's, lol. It had me thinking: when we don't really stress it and approach it on a day-by-day situation and REMIND ourselves everyday that God is more than able (since He is our architect; He made us this way) to handle this and keep us, it gets a little bit easier. I remember when we did the Daniel's Fast how the first week was the hardest, but as each day passed I didn't think about it much. I was focused. If I approach this the same way, knowing some days will be harder and staying in God's word and before Him; it will get easier because He will be giving me the strength. That being said, I want to leave these verses (NIV) to encourage you:




1. Jeremiah 29:11 (My most favorite verse)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This verse reminds me that in that hour when it seems darkest and I doubt God; He already has it all mapped out and it will work out fine. All I have to do is follow that path He is leading me down.



2. Galatians 5:16

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."

This verse is pretty much self-explanatory; live by the spirit (a lifestyle that is in the Word and led by God) and you will not gratify the desires that are flesh- based. If you live for God and have a relationship with Him you wouldn't want to grieve Him by following and doing things that you know will break His heart. It like God is your spouse; you wouldn't intentionally do things to strain the relationship and hurt Him, right?



3. 2 Corinthians 4:17

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

This one is the verse that belongs on my mirror so I can see it every morning. It just reminds me that this is nothing; the eternal glory, eternity trumps this little thing.



4. Isaiah 26:3

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

If you keep your mind on Christ not on who is in a relationship now or getting married while you're still single, blah, blah, blah.....you will be calm and in peace. Trusting God is the hardest thing to do nowadays; we live in a microwave nation and we expect God's time to match ours. But if just let Go and let God because HE DOES KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING we will be in perfect peace. Perfect is a powerful word; it means no faults, errors, nothing. Can we /will we trust God? What would that look like?



5. Psalm 37:4

"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."

I am focusing on the first part of that verse, "delight yourself in the Lord". How can we or what can we do to delight ourselves in the Lord? I can think of one thing: treat Him like your best friend and tell Him everything, look forward to those times when you can speak to Him candidly. Get excited about this wonderful relationship you have with Christ Jesus!!!!!



That being said, I hope I have encouraged others in their season of singlehood; I know I have encouraged myself.





Be blessed!


image source: photo.net Entitled: Alone by Miguel Angel de Arriba Cuadrado