Wednesday, May 4, 2011

REVIEW: HBO GO App (iPhone)


I'll be honest when I say this, I haven't put my iPhone down since I downloaded this app. It's the best app I ever got next to the Netflix app. What HBO did is take their "On Demand" service you get on TV and put it on an app that is 100% FREE. As long as you have HBO from your TV provider, you can watch unlimited HBO movies, TV shows, comedy specials & documentaries on the app.


The first thing you do when you get the app is go to the "Sign In" tab on the bottom right of the main menu. There, you select your TV provider. Once you enter your account number and password with your TV provider, it will bring you back to the main screen. You now have 100% access to the apps library of entertainment for free.


The app automatically updates to give you the latest HBO entertainment from new episodes of your favorite HBO shows, to the latest movies, stand up comedy specials and documentaries.

The video quality is also excellent. On a good Wi-Fi network, you won't get any lag at all in your stream. Even on 3G, the video quality only drops slightly, but still looks great. It's an even better quality than the Netflix stream on 3G. I must warn you AT&T users though, a 50 minute episode of Boardwalk Empire will have you using over 150MB of your data limit.



My favorite part about this app is all of the episodes from all 7 seasons of one of my favorite shows, Entourage, are available anytime I want to watch them. Netflix doesn't offer Entourage on it's streaming service. This is very convenient for the HBO GO app because I don't have to wait for Netflix to deliver the DVD's. Although I'm a very happy Netflix customer and love their service, I can catch up on episodes I haven't seen on the go, thanks to this app.

SUMMARY: The HBO GO app is a must have for all HBO subscribers. It operates the same as the Netflix app and is very easy to use. The video quality is also excellent and even when your not on a good Wi-Fi network, hardly ever lags.

RATING: 9.5/10

Written By: Hammy
Twitter: @BrainstuHammy