Saturday, March 19, 2011

REVIEW: Dropkick Murphy's - Going Out In Style

The Celtic band returns with their best album in, well, ever...


Dropkick Murphy's are:

Tim Brennan - Guitar
James Lynch - Guitar
Al Barr - Vocals
Ken Casey - Bass
Matt Kelly - Drums
Josh "Scruffy" Wallace - Bagpipes
Jeff DaRosa - Mandolin, Tin Whistle

I've been a fan of these guy's for years. When I saw them in concert a few years ago in New York, they put on the best performance I've ever seen by a band live. They not only play their songs great live, but their entire show with stage presence, audience participation, cover songs, etc. puts this band in a league of their own. If you ever have the chance to see Dropkick Murphy's live, I strongly suggest you go see them.

Now, onto the album itself, which in my opinion, is the best album they put out. This beats "Warriors Code" by miles. The album tells a story of a fictional character named Cornelius Larkin. The story's told on the album are taken from the band's personal experiences. The first track on the album is "Hang Em High", and in true DKM fashion, it kicks your ass through your stereo.



Another track on the album I especially like is their version of the traditional Irish song, "The Irish Rover".



After multiple listens to this album, I'm very happy they didn't fall in the trap Green Day did with telling a story through multiple songs on an album. Growing up a Green Day fan, they had their sound and their style. Over the past few years they have become a completely different band, trying to sound like their original selves. Not Dropkick Murphy's. This album is the sound you expect to hear, with clever, very well written lyrics.

One track that really impressed me is "1953". It's a well written, deeply emotional song that tells a fantastic story about love and friendship. Normally a song like this will get "this song's gay" comments. Not this one. It's fantastic.



Every single track on this album is excellent. My favorite track though is probably the title track "Going Out In Style".



This song will be one of their all time classics that everyone will know the words and sing along to at their show. My friend said to me that he wants this song played at his funeral. I don't blame him, this song's amazing.

SUMMARY: Dropkick Murphy's return with their first studio album in 4 years and in my opinion, their masterpiece. Every single song on this album is brilliant and you will listen to it over and over again. Perfect.

MY RATING: 10/10

Written by: Hammy
Twitter: @BrainstuHammy