Friday, March 11, 2011

It's What You Say (And How You Say It) That Matters

One of the things that bothers me is things that people say and don't even think about it after it exits their mouth. I often wonder if over time our "edit" button has disappeared. I have wanted to address this topic like forever (that statement right there doesn't make sense. Forever? Like I have been here that long). So, for the next couple of entries I will cover the phrases that make no sense at all. The first one:
1."I literally died."
I don't understand this phrase. If you literally died, how are you telling me this? Did you come back from the dead? If so, I would like to know more about that experience than what you are talking about right now.  Literal means: in accordance with the strict meaning of a word or text. So you want me to believe that you really died right? Why else would you say it then? They say that life and death is in the power of the tongue (Proverbs: 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,and those who love it will eat its fruits.) so what we say should be considered before the words exit from our mouths. Are we speaking life or death in/on this situation. Am I speaking health or sickness on myself? etc.......This is just the first entry. Be blessed