Sunday, February 27, 2011

TOPIC: 2011 Oscar Predictions


It's Oscar season and while we talk about our favorite films of the previous year and debate on who should win, ultimately it's the Academy that makes the decision of who goes home with that iconic golden statue.

With that, allow me to make my predictions for the big awards. I will list the nominations, pick who I want to win & my pick of what will win.

VISUAL EFFECTS

- Alice In Wonderland
- Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. I
- Hereafter
- Inception
- Iron Man II

I generally enjoyed all of the films in this category and they are all pretty good. However, only one of them stands above all others.

MY PICK

MY PREDICTION

SOUND EDITING

- Inception
- Toy Story III
- Tron: Legacy
- True Grit
- Unstopable

I'm a fan of sound mixing and audio production, which is why I'm including this category in my predictions list. I have no clue why True Grit is here. It's not like we haven't seen a Western before.

MY PICK

MY PREDICTION

MAKEUP

- Barney's Version
- The Way Back
- The Wolfman

If it's anything but The Wolfman, I'll question the eye sight of the Academy members.

MY PICK

MY PREDICTION

FILM EDITING

- Black Swan
- The Fighter
- The King's Speech
- 127 Hours
- The Social Network

MY PICK

For the film, the director watched "Irish" Micky Ward's fights and mimicked the fight punch for punch, editing it in a way that made you feel like your ringside watching the action. This hands down deserves it.

MY PREDICTION

Something just tells me The Fighter will get snubbed here.

BEST ANIMATED FILM

- How To Train Your Dragon
- The Illusionist
- Toy Story III

If it's anything but Toy Story III, I expect the audience to boo, as they rightfully should.

MY PICK

MY PREDICTION

BEST DIRECTOR

- Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
- David O. Russell - The Fighter
- Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
- David Fincher - The Social Network
- Joel Coen and Ethan Coen - True Grit

MY PICK
David O. Russell

MY PREDICTION
Darren Aronofsky

Many people are going with David Fincher on this. I just don't see it. Black Swan was a great thriller and Aronofsky directed Natalie Portman brilliantly.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

- Amy Adams - The Fighter
- Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
- Melissa Leo - The Fighter
- Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
- Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom

This is a tough one. Hailee Steinfeld is only a young child, but she was brilliant in True Grit. Amy Adams had a solid performance as well. I loved Helena Bonham Carter in The King's Speech even though I personally didn't like the movie itself. Melissa Leo however, was so good playing Micky Ward's mother, that it almost made me hate her as a person. That's how good she was in this movie. I have a feeling though despite this, the Academy will give Ms. Carter the Oscar.

MY PICK
Melissa Leo

MY PREDICTION
Helena Bonham Carter

SUPPORTING ACTOR

- Christian Bale - The Fighter
- John Hawkes - Winter's Bone
- Jeremy Renner - The Town
- Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
- Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

Christian Bale deserves this Oscar. I don't care what anyone else say's, this is his award. Watch footage of the real Dick Eklund and then watch Bale's performance in The Fighter. You can't tell the difference in the way he walks, talks and acts like Dick Eklund. I got a feeling though that this will be the "robbed" award this year.

MY PICK
Christian Bale

MY PREDICTION
Geoffrey Rush

BEST ACTRESS

- Annette Benning - The Kids Are All Right
- Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
- Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
- Natalie Portman - Black Swan
- Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

Because of the media attention Black Swan got and the praise Natalie Portman got for her performance, I think she get's this, and deservedly so. I went into Black Swan just for that lesbian scene with Mila Kunis and I ended up being blown away by Natalie Portman's performance. It ended up being a really good movie.

MY PICK
Natalie Portman

MY PREDICTION
Natalie Portman

BEST ACTOR

- Javier Bardem - Biutiful
- Jeff Bridges - True Grit
- Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
- Colin Firth - The King's Speech
- James Franco - 127 Hours

I don't see Bridges winning because the movie was made famous by John Wayne. It would be like if a really good tribute band won a Grammy for a cover song. It just doesn't happen. I'd like to see Jesse Eisenberg win, but Colin Firth takes this one.

MY PICK
Jesse Eisenberg

MY PREDICTION
Colin Firth

BEST PICTURE

- Black Swan
- The Fighter
- Inception
- The Kids Are All Right
- The King's Speech
- 127 Hours
- The Social Network
- Toy Story III
- True Grit
- Winter's Bone

This is one of the hardest picks this year. Black Swan was very artsy and it pushed limits of whats acceptable in this country. The Figher I've said time and time again is this generations "Rocky". That's how good of a movie it is. Inception was cutting edge, original. Screw "Avatar", this is the visual effects standard. The Social Network was a great film, despite it not being 100% accurate to the real story. Toy Story III to me was perfect in every way possible. True Grit was great, but I don't think a remake should win Best Picture over original films. This was a tough one, but...

MY PICK

I'm aware I'm gonna get various homosexual themed names thrown at me for this and I'll also be called insane for putting an animated movie above the others. Let me ask you this though: What film made you laugh, happy, worry about the fate of a character & get emotional? I certainly don't remember the last film that did all of those. Toy Story III is a masterpiece. If any animated film in history deserves the "Best Picture" award, this is it.

MY PREDICTION

Let's face it, this is the highest rated movie most critics loved non-animated this year. The Academy isn't gonna give their highest honored award to an animated film and probably never will. This is your best picture of the year.

Don't miss the Oscar's tonight on ABC.

Written by: Hammy
Twitter: @HammyRadio