Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dispensation of Grace

This is a topic that has been coming up lately and I wanted to just talk about it. The age we live in is an “Age of Grace”. Do you know what Grace means? It means the exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege conferred. When I Google Grace, Bible verses pop up everywhere. My favorite verse about Grace is Ephesians 2:8 (KJV) - “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” We are saved by Grace, by God’s exercise of love, kindness, and mercy. We don’t deserve to be saved, and we need to understand that. We don’t deserve the blessings that God bestows on us day after day. He does it because He loves us unconditionally. Think about it, doesn’t that humble you? It humbles me; to think that I could be hushed and gone in the midst of my sin with no access to my Heavenly Father; it scares me. I am the point where I’m learning that just because we have God’s grace I shouldn’t take advantage of it. It's like a credit card that has a 100 Million dollar spending limit; it's not my money so I should spend it all, I would just use it when I need it. I don’t want to mess up because I know God will forgive me later or just keep repenting for the same thing. Just as Paul wrote to the Romans in Romans 6: 1-2 (Amplified Bible) “WHAT SHALL we say [to all this]? Are we to remain in sin in order that God's grace (favor and mercy) may multiply and overflow? Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer?” Let us not take advantage or under estimate the God that we serve. He is a God of mercy, yes, but He is also a God of judgment. Even though we are in an age of Grace, let us learn to use it to move to higher heights and deeper depths in Christ not stay in one place. Be blessed.